Search by Credit Quality
Search by Feature
Search by Rewards
Search cards for Business
Search cards for Students
Search by Type
Search by Bank
Credit Rating
How to Improve your Credit Rating?

The best way to determine if you have negative information in your credit report is to order a copy and check it carefully. For a thorough review, you should check with all three CRAs since there may be some variations in the file each CRA maintains on you. This should be done at least once a year. Because the crime of identity theft is on the rise, we recommend that you check at least one of your credit reports every four months.

Under the FACT Act you can now contact a centralized source that will include information from all three CRAs. To read more about free credit reports nationwide and connect with the centralized source, see

A word of caution: Do not attempt to contact the centralized source through an Internet search for terms like "free credit report" or "free credit check." You could land on a site that sells credit reports along with fee-based credit monitoring plans and a variety of other products and services.

In addition to taking advantage of your free annual credit report, you should also check your credit report when you know it is going to be used to make important decisions, such as applying for an automobile or home loan, renting an apartment, or applying for a job. Reports should be ordered at least one to two months before you apply for credit or intend to rent. At these crucial times, you do not want to be surprised to find that your report contains negative information, especially if that information is inaccurate.

A creditor has the duty to report only accurate, complete, and updated information to a CRA. For example, if you close an account voluntarily, your creditor must report this fact in order to distinguish it from an account that is closed for nonpayment. If you disagree with a creditor's report of negative information, the creditor must put a notice of that dispute in your file before reporting to the CRA.

What can I do if i find errors in my report?

There is no denying that errors can and do appear in credit reports. The July 2000 issue of Consumer Reports cited a study where more than 50% of the credit reports checked contained errors. A 2004 survey conducted by the U.S. Public Interest Research Group (USPIRG) found that one in four credit reports contain serious

There are two main reasons errors may appear on your credit report. One is when you have been mistaken for another person with a similar name and their information ends up in your file. The other more serious cause of error is fraud. Someone may have intentionally gained access to your personal information and obtained credit in your name. Instances of identity theft are increasing.

Read more about identity theft in our guides:

Both state and federal laws provide you with the right to have errors corrected. Credit bureaus are regulated under the California Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies Act (California Civil Code section 1785 et seq.), the laws of other states, and the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 USC 1681 et seq.).

For information on the law in your state, contact your state's consumer protection bureau or office of the Attorney General. National credit bureaus must have a toll-free number so you can contact them with your questions. Also, credit reports must provide an address to request an investigation of inaccurate information.

Once you have notified a CRA of your dispute, both federal and California law allow 30 business days for an investigation. The bureau must consider all the relevant evidence you give it, and errors must be corrected. If the CRA cannot verify negative information, it must be deleted from your file. You are entitled to receive a free copy of your corrected report.

You may ask the credit bureau to send a corrected report to anyone who has requested your file in the past six months, as well as to anyone who has requested it in the last two years in relation to employment. Remember, when corresponding with the CRAs, be sure to make copies of all letters, and mail them certified return receipt requested.

If you disagree with the result of the CRA's investigation, you have the right to submit a 100-word explanation. The credit bureau must include the explanation in your file although the negative information will not be removed.

Some consumers who have had errors corrected find the incorrect information reappears in their files at a later date. Both federal and California laws require credit bureaus to notify the consumer within five days of reinserting information. Negative information cannot be reinserted into your file unless the credit bureau takes the added step of having the source of the information certify that it is complete and accurate. Credit bureaus must provide the subject of the report with a toll-free number to dispute the reinsertion and the opportunity to include a dispute statement.

The recent FACTA amendments to the FCRA also place new obligations to investigate errors on companies that furnish information to a CRA. Nonetheless, even if you have had errors in your report corrected, it is wise to periodically check your credit report to make sure the errors do not reappear.

Credit Card Advice Categories

Best Poor Credit Credit Card
UPside Visa® Prepaid Card
Copyright © 2008-2020 All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Credit Cards Advice | Site Map
Our Network: |